How do I deal with setbacks, failures, delays, defeat, or other disasters? I actually have a fairly simple way of dealing with these situations. There is one word to deal with all those situations, and that is: "good." When things are going bad, there's going to be some good that will come from it.
- Oh, mission got cancelled? Good. We can focus on another one.
- Didn't get the new high-speed gear we wanted? Good. We can keep it simple.
- Didn't get promoted? Good. More time to get better.
- Didn't get funded? Good. We own more of the company.
- Got injured? Good. Needed a break from training.
- Got beat? Good. We learned.
- Unexpected problems? Good. We have the opportunity to figure out a solution.
That's it. Accept reality, but focus on the solution. Go forward.
Finally, to close this up: If you can say the word "good," guess what? It means you're still alive. It means you're still breathing.
And if you're still breathing, that means you've still got some fight left in you. So get up, dust off, reload, recalibrate, re-engage, and go out on the attack.
And that, right there, is about as good as it gets.